Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Dinner Time

If you know me well, you know that cooking is not my specialty. I need to practice and get better, but my daily schedule allows zero time for cooking. Luckily Drew is an amazing cook! I do have to say it works out pretty well since I get home at different times every night depending on my work load. Our evenings usually play out a little something like this...Drew gets home from the gym a little before I get home from work so he will get started on dinner. When I get home, I can usually squeeze in about an hour of studying before dinner (CPA...boo) so when dinner is ready, we will sit at the table or maybe in the living room while we catch up on a TV show we have DVRed. Due to the hectic evenings, we are big into simple meals. So...with that said, here is one we tried last night and it was very very good. Try it out for yourself and let me know what you think!
Since I sometimes catch Drew reading OUR blog haha, I do want to say that I appreciate everything you do around the house. Not very many men would embrace some of the things you do and I love you for that. Thank you so much for being so supportive...and for making dinner! :)
Panera Broccoli Cheese Soup Recipe

Ingredients
1 tablespoon melted butter
1/2 medium chopped onion
1/4 cup melted butter
1/4 cup flour
2 cups half-and-half cream
2 cups chicken stock
1/2 lb fresh broccoli
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
8 ounces grated sharp cheddar cheese
salt and pepper


Directions
1. Sauté onion in butter. Set aside.
2. Cook melted butter and flour using a whisk over medium heat for 3-5 minutes. Stir constantly and add the half & half.
3. Add the chicken stock. Simmer for 20 minutes.
4. Add the broccoli and onions. Cook over low heat 20-25 minutes.
5. Add salt and pepper. Can be puréed in a blender but I don't. Return to heat and add cheese. Stir in nutmeg.

No comments:

Post a Comment