Friday, November 5, 2010

First Big Change

Today is the first big change of what I have a feeling is many to come in the next several months. Today is my last day at PricewaterhouseCoopers. After much consideration and several months of 'talking' about it with Drew, I have decided to accept a job with Hudson, Cisne, & Co., a local accounting firm here in Little Rock. This is something I have thought about for a long time, mainly becuase of the crazy hours that come along with working for a Big Four accounting firm. While the thought of making a move had crossed my mind on several ocassions, it never seemed like the right time and the benefits for working for PwC seemed to outweigh the long hours. PLUS, I had never quit a job before and didn't really want to experience all the stress and anxiety of doing so. I finally got enough nerve to talk it over with my coach at work. We talked about how I was feeling about the job and where I wanted my career to go. I remember leaving the lunch thinking, ok, this is the first step. What happened next might seem unbelievable, but when I returned from lunch with my coach, I received a call from Hudson, Cisne, & Co. I had interviewed with them 2 years ago and I guess I left a lasting impression because they wanted to know how my current job was going and if I would be interested in an experienced associate position at their firm. I of course couldn't believe the timing. After meeting with their business development guy and then one of the Partners which I had met 2 years ago, they offered me a job!!! I now knew the timing was right!
Even though I am excited about what the future has in store, I am still sad to leave the friends I have made at PwC. The cool thing about public accounting, is the people I work with are all around my age so we build relationships and bonds quickly. Not to mention I have spent more time with these people over the past couple years than I do my own family. Now, as it is my last day, I think about the past few years.
Things I am going to miss:
1. All of the people I work with - I really have enjoyed working with everyone, especially those people who made those tough days not as tough.
2. The frequent happy hours!!!
3. Playing dirty Santa at our Christmas Party...pretty entertaining!
4. Free cell phone and free cell phone service
5. The bonus I won't be getting in December :(
6. Laughing at stupid stuff just because it is 11:30p.m. at you are so tired you can't think straight
7. The people, the people, the people!!!
Things I will NOT miss:
1. Working until midnight during busy season
2. Having to work from home when it snows/ices just because we have laptops
3. Wearing business professional attire to Dillard's Corp.
4. hearing, 'well guys, it looks like we need to order dinner tonight' - in the summer months
Although it got tough at times, I really will miss everyone and I am sure that in a weird way I will miss the craziness. I know there are good things in store for Drew and I and I am excited for what is to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment